That information will help consumers to find and engage with expert glass and mirror cutting services and glass and mirror replacement and installation services regardless of their specific project needs.
GLASS, MIRROR CUTTING SERVICES AND GLASS, MIRROR REPLACEMENT AND INSTALLATION SERVICES – DIFFERENCES
Foremost, is there the difference between glass and mirror cutting services and glass and mirror replacement and installation services providers? While many glass service companies perform all these different services, there are also many who specialize in one of the other. Glass and mirror cutting services, as their name implies, are primarily focused on glass and mirror cutting. They may also process the underlying glass, as there are many different types of glass blends for various applications. By contrast, glass and mirror replacement and installation services take the finished, cut glass, and either replace existing glass installations or install new glass items.
The categories in which glass and mirror cutting services and glass and mirror replacement and installation services operate are numerous and varied. Some work in only one specific class, such as auto glass. Others may work in many types of glass applications. It depends on the individual provider and capabilities.
GLASS, MIRROR CUTTING SERVICES, AND GLASS, MIRROR REPLACEMENT INSTALLATION SERVICES – CATEGORIES
There are many categories or sectors of business that rely on glass and mirror cutting services and glass and mirror replacement and installation services. Likewise, some glass and mirror cutting services and glass and mirror replacement and installation services may be highly specialized to one or few service sectors. Others are more along with the order of generalists, and service in many areas. Some of the most common categories that depend on these companies include:
- Automotive glass (windows, windshields, rear windows, mirrors)
- Window manufacturers/installers in home and office construction
- Décor and furniture companies (glass panels, doors, shelves, mirrors, etc.)
- Bath and shower installation companies (many stylish shower walls are made of various types of glass), etc.
While the other specialized uses for glass are quite impressive, they are outside the scope of this article. Here, we’re mostly focusing on the general-purpose and home-related companies who cut, replace and install glass, windows and doors, furniture and décor, bath and showers, and similar uses.
GLASS, MIRROR CUTTING SERVICES AND GLASS, MIRROR REPLACEMENT AND INSTALLATION SERVICES – CUTTING
From a consumer standpoint, most glass and mirror cutting services are generally focused on providing contractors, builders, or individual home consumers with cut-to-size glass and mirror panels and sheets. These are most often used for home or office construction and renovation, for things like windows, doors, skylights, and similar. At the same time, these companies may also provide industrial or commercial consumers with cut-to-fit panels for things like furniture construction, bath and shower wall installation, automotive production, and more.
In both cases, glass and mirror cutting services begin by purchasing various sizes and densities of multiple types of glass to use as initial cutting stock. When an order comes in, they select and transport some of the initial cutting stock to the cutting area. There, they use various methods to cut the glass to the exact dimensions required by the order, before packaging it up and shipping it out or arranging pickup with the customer.
For glass cutting, several methods can be used. Consumers alike can use a ruler or straightedge, cutting knife or wheel, and some other necessary equipment to score the glass or mirror, and then forcefully break it along the score. It is undoubtedly a less precise way to cut glass than professional cutting equipment, but it gets the job done. Glass and mirror cutting services usually have a mechanical means to cut glass, especially “on-site,” often they have service trucks where they do that kind of work. In more extensive operations, or back at a base of operations or warehouse, glass and mirror cutting services often use more elaborate, computer-controlled versions of glass cutting devices, which can make various styles and depths of cuts, pre-programmed or operator-controlled, at very high speed and throughput.
Most often, consumers will interact with glass and mirror cutting services in their own homes, as part of a service call to replace window glass, auto glass, or similar. In these cases, the glass cutting is performed with portable plasma cutters or traditional glass cutting.
GLASS, MIRROR CUTTING SERVICES AND GLASS, MIRROR REPLACEMENT AND INSTALLATION SERVICES – REPLACEMENT AND INSTALLATION
Glass and mirror replacement and installation services perform the replacement and installation tasks once the glass or mirror(s) are cut down to the right size. Since a lot of this work may involve making minor adjustments or doing custom work on the site of a job, you can see why these companies are usually one and the same.
The exact nature of the glass and mirror replacement and installation services’ work process depends on what kind of glass or mirror replacement they are undertaking. In almost all cases, if it’s a replacement of an existing piece of glass or mirror, they will first remove the current item, clean and prep the intended installation area, and then perform their installation tasks. Some common examples of the kinds of things glass and mirror replacement and installation services provide include:
- Remove fogged insulation glass windows and replace them with new insulation glass. That means consumers don’t need to replace their entire windows, just some glass panels, saving hundreds to thousands of dollars.
- Remove damaged safety glass, such as auto windshields, and install a new glass panel or window in its place. That can include sealing and gluing along the sides of the windshield, in this case, to get an air-tight and water-tight seal and hold the windshield in place.
- Install a custom-built bath and shower glass walls. These large solid panels of glass can be quite tricky to maneuver and must be strong enough to withstand their weight, as well as a lot of potential swaying, bumps, impact, and pressure. Special metal or composite collars or end pieces are usually used at the bottom and, less often, the top, to help reinforce the glass panels. They are then sealed at the edges with a caulk-like material, to both help hold them together and to waterproof the seams.
- Remove and replace a damaged glass shelf, door, or other elements on a piece of furniture, table, TV stand, or similar in a home. That can often include other aesthetic steps that may fall into the realm of furniture repair more than glass and mirror replacement and installation services, so it depends on what a glass and mirror replacement and installation services company offers as to whether they can complete these tasks.
These are solely a few of the many things that glass, and mirror replacement and installation services can do for consumers. As with most artisans, the only real limit is price, physics, and imagination.
CONCLUSION ABOUT GLASS, MIRROR CUTTING SERVICES
In conclusion, glass and mirrors play an important role in many of the structural and decorative elements of our homes, offices, cars, and other things we interact daily. Glass and mirror cutting services are the experts who cut glass down to size to fit for a use, whether in a consumer setting or industrial one. Glass and mirror replacement and installation services, which are often the same glass cutting company, perform the replacement and installation tasks that utilize glass and mirrors, such as window replacement and home furnishing installation. Together, these skill sets ensure consumers can have high-quality, custom-fit glass and mirror panels for whatever their needs may be.